Monday, August 12, 2013

Summer Days

                                     Riding Annabelle

     
  “Life is not coming at you, it’s coming from you.  You are creating the life you live.”
                                                                                   Wyatt Webb


We didn’t go on vacation this summer, but I did have a memorable summer time, even in the high heat of the Arizona desert.  After a 30-year hiatus, I took up horseback riding again!  Who notices the heat in the presence of the mighty horse?  Not me!!!!

I discovered a wonderful horse ranch, took lots of lessons, met great people, worked at two youth horse camps, galloped through the local trails, almost bought my very first horse ever (the vet check proved the little mare lameL) and I am about to lease a beautiful, chocolate-brown, gaited mare named Cocoa!

This time around, I’m riding western and for pleasure.  I’m going on trail rides as well as doing arena work.  I’ve learned to do some ground work in the round pen and I’ve practiced my riding technique and transitions in all three gaits.  Every time I ride, I improve.

I’m so very new at all this, but every time I’m at the ranch, I learn something new.  Oh, yes, did I mention that I’m a research nut?  I’ve bought and read tons of books (the library has become my best friend!), gone through tons of websites and took the plunge and splurged on a set of DVDs by my favorite horseman – Mark Rashid.  I’ve researched the web for sale horses and ranches for sale – a girl can dream, can’t she?!

My kids’ favorite comment to me as they passed by me sitting at the computer was: “Oh, Mom…horses again?”   So, this summer has been all about horses, sprinkled with a little obsessive-compulsive behavior on my part, but what can I say?  I’ve become a horseaholic!



No comments:

Post a Comment