Sunday, August 11, 2013

To know a horse
      
                    "Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul".  
                                                                                      Author unknown
                                                                                                
      
It all began when I was 10 years old, and finances being what they were, horses were not going to be in the cards for me.  However, that didn't stop me from sneaking into the local equestrian facility where I would hide behind a bush and stare at those magnificent beasts and the lucky children who got to ride them!

As luck would have it, my Dad’s uncle owned a trail horse business out in the country, and occasionally, my cousin Willie and I (did I mention I had a crush on him?), would ride and gallop to our hearts content!  Oh, what joy!

Fast forward to my early twenties.  Now I could pay for my own lessons and took up English riding for a couple of years.  Yes, I won a few ribbons and jumped some low fences, but I was always left wanting more.  You see, the horse I rode came to me saddled, I’d ride him for an hour, and then he was summarily whisked away, leaving me standing there with my arms outstretched to him, longing for him not to go… Oh, what sadness!

Fast forward 30 years to the present.  I can’t shake the feeling that it’s now or never!  This is my time to ride again!  I’m fortunate to have a wonderful husband who understands this little passion of mine and three beautiful children who’ve learned to share in my dream…the dream to know a horse!

I wanted to put "pen to paper", so to speak, and create a blog that would reflect what a typical woman beginning the second half of her life, goes through.  This blog is mostly about horses, but it's also about the trials and tribulations of aging gracefully and finding the road toward health, vitality, and beauty.

 It's never too late to follow one's dreams.  If your dream is being around horses somehow, whether you own one, lease one, or just admire them from afar, please join me and share your thoughts!

   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patti! I hope you find blogging as fulfilling as I have. I think you will agree that horses are magic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Wolfie! I agree--horses are magic- what a great word! And all this blogging thing is a bit overwhelming right now, but I guess that with enough time put into it, it will become a piece of cake:)

    ReplyDelete